Statutes, Regulations, and Directives Providing Basis for the Classification and Controlled Information Programs
Energy Act of 1954 - Establishes Government-wide
policies for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying
Restricted Data information.
- 10 CFR Part 1045, Nuclear Classification and Declassification
- Establishes the Government-wide policies and procedures
for implementing sections 141 and 142 of the Atomic
Energy Act of 1954 for classifying and declassifying
RD and FRD and implements those requirements of Executive
Order 12958 concerning NSI that affect the public.
- Executive Order 13526, Classified National Security Information
- Prescribes the Government-wide system for classifying,
safeguarding, and declassifying NSI.
- 32 CFR Part 2001, Classified National Security Information, Final Rule - implements Executive Order 13526.
- ISOO Notice 2011-02, Further Guidance and Clarification on Commingling Atomic Energy Information and Classified National Security Information - provides guidance for marking documents containing Restricted Data, Formerly Restricted Data or Transclassified Foreign Nuclear Information mixed with National Security Information.
Law 105-261, Section
3161, Protection Against Inadvertent Release of
Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data - Requires
every Government agency implementing the automatic declassification
provisions of section 3.3 of Executive Order 12958 to
follow procedures (i.e., a plan) to prevent the inadvertent
release of records containing RD or FRD.
Law 106-65, Section
3149, Supplement to Plan for Declassification
of Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data -
Extends the plan requirements developed under section
3161 of Public Law 105-261 to apply to records already
processed under section 3.3 of Executive Order 12958.
Law 106-398, Section 3193, Frequency of Reports
on Inadvertent Releases of Restricted Data and Formerly
Restricted Data - Requires the Secretary of Energy
to submit a report on inadvertent releases to specified
congressional committees and the Assistant to the
President on a quarterly basis.
- DOE Order 475.2A - Identifying Classified Information - Establishes requirements for managing the DOE program including details for classifying and declassifying information, documents, and material classified under the Atomic Energy Act [Restricted Data (RD) and Formerly Restricted Data (FRD)] or Executive Order 13526 [National Security Information (NSI)], so that it can be protected against unauthorized dissemination.
- Classification Bulletin GEN-16 Revision - "No Comment" Policy on Classified Information in the Public Domain – Provides information concerning reading and possessing open source documents that contain classified information, collecting publications or lists of publications containing classified information, and using public domain sources containing classified information.
- Policy Bulletin 5, Declassification Instruction "25X1-human," provides instructions on the appropriate action to take when classification guide topics or source documents cite "25X1-human" declassification instructions.
Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information
CFR Part 1017, Identification and Protection of
Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information - Establishes
the Government-wide policies and procedures for implementing
the requirements of section 148 of the Atomic Energy
Act of 1954 concerning identifying and protecting
certain unclassified but sensitive Government information
that concerns atomic energy defense programs.
DOE Order 471.1B, Identification and Protection
of Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information - Establishes
requirements for managing the DOE program for identifying
and protecting UCNI.
Official Use Only
O 471.3 Admin Chg 1, and DOE
M 471.3-1 Admin Chg 1, Identification and Protection of
Official Use Only Information - Establishes requirements
for the DOE program to identify certain unclassified
information as Official Use Only and to identify, mark,
and protect documents containing such information.
- Policy Bulletin 4, Change 1, Exemption 2 Guidance, provides DOE personnel guidance when a classification guide topic refers to "Exemption 2, Circumvention of Statute" as the basis for OUO. Note: This bulletin applies only to OUO determinations that are based on DOE classification guides.
This page was last updated on
February 05, 2013